Nursing homes provide the comfort and care you’ll naturally receive in your homes or even more. You can be relaxed knowing your loved ones are in safe hands.
Here are a few Nursing homes in Johannesburg.
1. Nazareth House Johannesburg
Nazareth House is a registered Non-Profit Organisation (NPO 038-257) and a recognised Public Benefit Organisation.
The Organisation assists in the subsidisation of child and elderly care, supporting outreach projects, and community work. Nazareth House is reliant on donations to ensure the sustainability and longevity of the organisation. Nazareth Care services include;
- a range of accommodation choices for independent, assisted
- frail and dementia care. Managed by an intimate team of compassionate individuals.
- Their friendly staff are dedicated to providing a homely atmosphere where seniors are encouraged to maintain their independence and continue living life to the fullest.
- Aged care
- Respite and day care
Each of their residents is treated with care, dignity and respect, and they are committed to extending this level of professionalism to their resident’s families too.
Contact: +27 11 648 1002
Address: Webb St, Yeoville, Johannesburg, 2198, South Africa
2. Junes Haven Frail Care
Junes Haven Frail Care is an exclusive private frail care in Parktown West, Johannesburg. Their beautiful home is the perfect place for the elderly who require daily full-time care.
They specialize in Dementia and Alzheimer’s care, Palliative care, and all other aspects of frail care. Junes Haven is set in exquisite tranquil gardens and their home is a place of love and safety.
Junes Haven is owner run and is assisted by a full complement of dedicated staff. They have a registered Nurse, Matron, and a team of excellent Carers to take care of all our beloved residents. Junes Haven is a small exclusive home accommodating up to 20 residents.
Their Amenities include
- 5 Private spacious rooms
- 4 Shared rooms.
Their dedicated Registered Nurse, Sr Marcia Kay comes in 3 times a week to oversee the care and medical checks of all our residents.
They have a lovely hairdresser who comes in Weekly, supported by his assistant. Junes Haven is monitored throughout the home by Cameras to ensure the absolute safety and care of their residents. These cameras are monitored daily by Management.
Contact: +27 82 626 0877
Address: 28 Seymour Avenue, Parktown, 2193, Johannesburg, 2937, South Africa
3. Waverley Gardens Memory Care
Waverley Gardens Memory Care is the sole centre that has been set up to care for those living with dementia and Alzheimer’s.
The Care Centre provides 24-hour supervision and accommodates residents in either private or shared rooms. The residents are overseen by their professional staff who are trained to manage their condition and provide the best comfort and care.
Their Daycare is a wonderful solution to giving you time to attend to task, and peace of mind that your loved is being cared for. Daycare will include meals and activities.
Contact: +27 11 887 9881
Address: 5 Murray St, Waverley, Johannesburg, 2090, South Africa
4. Park care
Park Care is an independent, faith-based, charity organisation, and is registered as a Non-profit Organization, as well as being registered with SARS as a Public Benefit Organization. There has been residents as young as late 20’s and as old as 101 years of age.
Their services include;
- Specialized 24/7 nursing care and/or holistic support to older, and frail persons within a caring residential setting.
- Enclosed, secure complex with 24/7 security, surrounded by leafy gardens, rich with birdsong and established trees.
- Social Work Services
- Spiritual Welfare
- Community Involvement Programmes
Contact: +27 11 482 2060
Address: 36 Escombe Ave, Parktown West, Johannesburg, 2193, South Africa
4. Frederic Place – Home for the Aged
Frederic Place was founded in 1978 as a project of The Society of St Vincent De Paul (SSVdP) to meet the needs of Elderly and Destitute people in the vicinity.
Frederic Place is home to 85 Aged and Destitute Residents. 22 of the Residents are cared for holistically in their Frail Care and are totally dependent on Careworkers for eating, bathing and dressing as well as medical attention.
Activities are mostly by choice of the residents, knitting, reading and TV. They have a gardening project and grow some of their own veggies.
A group of residents participate in sports and choir competitions against the local regions. Wednesdays are shopping and residents are loaded into their vehicles and taken to the local mall. Bi-weekly there is a visit to the hair salon for mobile residents.
An all-time favourite is bingo monthly as well as outings and invitations from companies, schools and churches.
Contact: +27 11 673 3204
Address: 28 Riversdale St, Coronationville, Johannesburg, 2093, South Africa
5. Kensington Gardens
Kensington Gardens offers Independent living balanced beautifully with support, security and a sense of community to give retired people and their loved ones peace of mind and contentment.
Kensington Gardens offer spacious cottages and flats for you to choose from to Independent residents; the village comprises two sections called Protea and Erica which is set amongst beautifully maintained gardens in which Colonial House stands as a crowning piece.
Their Amenities and services include;
- Water included in levy
- Panic button included in levy
- Home Supervisor on property
- Cleaning and communal garden service included in levy
- Hairdresser and Library
- Podiatrist and Doctor visit regularly
- Weekly wellness clinic
- Shuttle service to various shopping centres once a week.
- Covered carports – subject to availability
- 24hr security
- Laundry facility
Their Activities include
- Bingo afternoons
- Exercise classes
- Resident social outings and events
- Monthly Social
- Knitting Club
Contact: +27 11 781 4920
Address: 75 11th Ave, Kensington, Johannesburg, 2094, South Africa
6. Avalon Association
Avalon is a home for people with physical disabilities, located in Kensington, Johannesburg. It was founded in 1944 but the present facility was built in 1981 from funds obtained from mining houses and residents were relocated to the new Avalon in Kensington, Johannesburg.
In the intervening years, Avalon has grown and to date, there are 40 residents with physical disabilities.
The disabilities at Avalon range from accident victims to stroke, polio, spinal/brain injury, cerebral palsy, paraplegia, vision/hearing impairment, hemiplegic and muscular dystrophy. These require a fully comprehensive care work program.
Their services include;
- 24/7 accommodation
- Basic nursing care and rehabilitation to traumatized and disabled victims of accidents, crime, polio and amputations, amongst many other conditions.
- General care, such as assisting residents with feeding and bathing, house-keeping, play and exercise.
- Social work services including counseling, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy (when available) as well as through spiritual and life skills support.
- Twenty four hours/seven days a week basic caregiving and emotional support to the residents
- Full laundry service for all bedding, clothing etc.
- Occupational Therapy (available 4 hours per week.)
- Specialized transport to Hospitals, Clinics, Doctors appointments and Local Shopping centres.
- Spiritual and recreational facilities.
- Social and recreational activities.
- Psychosocial services and counselling.
- A channel for employment in a sheltered workshop.
Address: 1 10th St, De Wetshof, Johannesburg, 2198, South Africa
7. Darrenwood Village
Darrenwood Village is a sought-after Retirement Village comprising more than 184 self-contained private houses and cottages developed on prime real estate with lush gardens and paved walkways.
The property has its very own state-of-the-art 24-hour security and trained emergency staff. Darrenwood Village is home to seniors and retired residents who value their independence, friendships, healthy lifestyle, and medical care.
Their services include:
- Health and wellness
- Visiting doctors
- Rendezvous restaurant
- Library and community centre
Contact: +27 11 476 3977
Address: 7 1st St, Linden, Johannesburg, 2195, South Africa
8. Montgomery Haven
Montgomery Haven is affectionately known as the “Haven” because of the tranquil ambience and laid back setting of the secure 2,2-hectare site.
The Care Centre, managed by a registered nursing manager supported by professional nursing staff and care workers, has 35 beds and provides assisted living and nursing care.
Full nursing care is also provided to Alzheimer’s residents who are accommodated in their own exclusive environment.
The Nursing Manager visits the residents in their units and blood pressure reading and recording is available on a regular and complimentary basis.
- Self-contained garden cottages and flats available on a rental basis.
- Mid and frail care facilities
- Alzheimer’s & Dementia care
- Catering and dining services
- 24 hour security
- Gardening services
- Full time professional management
- Nursing services for all residents
Additional services and facilities:
- Hairdressing service
- Bible study
- Shopping trips
Address: 14 Langenhoven Street, Montgomery Park, Johannesburg
Contact: (011) 686 2820
Queenshaven Village, one of two retirement facilities managed by the Johannesburg Coronation Foundation, welcomed its first residents in 1953.
Queenshaven is situated on 9 hectares of landscaped gardens together with beautiful giant trees in a secure environment.
They are located on the corner of Southern Klipriviersberg and Outspan Roads, South Hills, Johannesburg.
Facilities and services available to all their residents include;
- Occupational therapy
- A library
- DSTV lounge
- Clothing bank
- Craft, sewing and knitting club
- Activity centre for social recreation e.g. gym, bingo and games, a swimming pool and a bus service to the local shopping centres.
- There is also an inter-denominational chapel where regular church services are held.
- A coffee shop and convenience store for essential items is a happy place to get together and share a toasted sandwich and a cappuccino.
Address: 64 Outspan Rd, Moffat View, Johannesburg, 2197, South Africa
Contact: +27 11 613 5927
10. Dean’s Shelter
Deansgate Retirement Village is situated in Craighall Park in Johannesburg. It offers accommodation for the elderly regardless of race, religious affiliation or gender.
The Deans Shelter was established by the then Dean of Johannesburg to care for veterans of the second world war, who had serious difficulties in their efforts to rehabilitate and adjust to civilian life. Having served its purpose as the Deans Shelter, Deansgate as it is known today became a home for the elderly.
Their services include;
- Independent living
- Mid-Care Accommodation
- Frail care accommodation
- Dementia High Care Unit
Address: 21 Herpo Rd, Craighall Park, Randburg, 2196, South Africa
A final thought on the Nursing homes in Johannesburg
Living with a disability or getting older can be difficult and in no way should mean that you can’t live in a home that meets your needs. A nursing home provides a home away from home for you and your loved ones.